Thursday, July 24, 2008

In Memory of Mike




Mike and I have been friends for 30 years. It has been one of those rare friendships that didn't fade after high school. Even in those days, I saw Mike as different, and our friendship as something that was certain to endure. During the height of our misguided teenage pursuits, Mike exhibited enormous depth, self-knowledge, and an inclination toward adult concerns. He was a wise man in a teenager's body. We all make decisions in those years that affect our entire adult lives, and without Mike, I don't think I would have made good ones.

For those who haven't read it, I recommend Paul Tatara's excellent tribute to Mike. Like Paul, I too was influenced by Mike's musical sensibilities. In college, it was Mike who convinced me to expand my musical universe beyond FM radio to then-upcoming acts like The Clash, Joe Jackson, and Elvis Costello. His exposing me to the Imperial Bedroom album, in particular, made me feel like I had just discovered America. I drove him and my other roommates crazy by playing only side 1 of the album over and over, out of fear that there was no way side 2 could ever match side 1's perfection. As a musician, I owe an enormous debt of gratitude for his educating me in this music, which influences me greatly to this day.

After college, our friendship was still strong. He was instrumental in helping me re-think my career. This critical help gave me the focus and courage to greatly change the trajectory of my adult life for the better. I can only imagine how different my life would have been had he not been there.

The years after that have been very happy ones, and still he was always there, sharing thoughts about external matters like world affairs or sports, but also still courageous enough to confront his inner self. Mike knew innately that the richness of his life came not from his external success, but by the quality of his relationships and by the tending to his soul.

Mike, I will miss you more than words can say. Whenever my life's path approaches a fork in the road, I will know you are with me, giving perspective that never would have occured to me. And that gives me comfort that the path leads to a blessed place.

No comments: