Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Our Nominee



Tonight is an historic moment. We've talked about the candidate plenty, but we don't talk enough about how he pulled off the biggest electoral upset in our lifetimes. There are grassroots candidates in every election cycle, but typically the establishment, top-down candidate wins out. The money and institutional advantages are too much to overcome. But here, in the 21st century, using 21st century means for grassroots supporters to connect, organize, and empower themselves, we have a true bottom-up, people-powered nominee. And this portends a more people-powered model of governance should he win the general election.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was en route, outta the country this past January - I had a layover in Puerto Rico - the caucuses were airing at the airport.

I happened to have a number of hours there so I sat in a pub and watched CNN. At some point the camera cut to Obama and a speech he was making. Let me tell you, the room went quiet and people started to get out of their seats to hear better. The walked towards the big screen television and just LISTENED to him.

It wasn't crowds of people - maybe six or seven of us. And then as it continued, more and more people came in and listened. So it was a decent sized group. When he was done, the group cheered. And funny, at the other restaurant/pub down the ways, you heard people cheering and clapping from there, too. it echoed.

I remember turning to the man next to me and saying, "Wow. Amazing. Despite who people vote for, the United States is forever changed."

I will be volunteering for this campaign as I have every four years for my choice. So that means, yes, Obama will get my vote. And my time.

But despite any one's choice - you have to admit, people are excited to hear what he has to say. There was a time not so long ago his words mattered little and his views were silenced.

B